The 10 Best Tacos in Mexico City...for now
This post will undoubtedly stir many to comment, in favor and against. I almost hesitate to create it. But by popular demand, I present my current favorites. The list will morph as my quest for the Holy Grail in a tortilla continues. So please take this list as a temporary compendium and not as gospel.
1. Los Parados (tacos of charcoal grilled beef & pork) See post
This stand up only is still número uno for smoky grilled tacos.
2. Tacos El Patán (tacos of pescado a la talla) see post
There’s nothing like this amazing, hard to find stand that offers roast fish in a tortilla.
3. Los Cocuyos (grilled meats) see post
This legendary stand-up only spot, features every part of the cow you’ve ever heard of and a few you haven’t. I love the lengua (tongue)
4. El Rincon Tarasco (carnitas) see post
Arguably the best carnitas (confit of pork) in town.
5. Azul/El Capote (carnitas) see post
I love the carnitas here as well, and it’s a tossup between Tarasco and Azul.
6. El Huequito (tacos al pastor) see post
I know it’s a chain nowadays, but I stick to the original tiny locale on Ayuntamiento for great pastor shaved fresh off the rotisserie.
7. El Habanerito (cochinita pibil) see post
This highly condimented and picante specialty from the Yucatan is done right here.
8. El Gran Abanico (carnitas, grilled meats) see post
This huge emporium is out of the way but worth the trip.
9. La Tonina (guisados norteños) see post
Another unique venue that offers dishes from the northern states served in wheat tortillas.
10. Los Milanesos (tacos of milanesas, guisados) see post
Located in the middle of nowhere, this is a pilgrimage site for its many believers.